Friday, March 11, 2011

My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult

Read a fantastic book this week - made me think about life. made me cry till my eyes were so swollen I needed an icepack to make the swell go down.

Its an old book by Jodi Picoult that I only manage to borrow now - My Sister's keeper
( Libraries, Kindly have more of her books - she is such an amazing writer!)


The book is about 2 sisters in a family - one sister called Kate who is sick with lukemia while another sister Anna is not sick, but was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate. By the age thirteen, Anna has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can live longer (against the disease) The question is: Is this fair for Anna? Anna goes to court to fight for her rights for medical emanicipation. It may seem to many others that it is a selfish gesture trying to run away from helping her sister. However the story unravels that the sick sister was the one that told her to not continue being a donor for her as she is tired of all the treatments. As the truth is being told, the parents try to absorb this news and Anna signs the rights.

Anna is involved in an accident and is annouced brain dead and the story ends with Anna giving up her body parts - and her sick sister is now recovering - yet the family lives in the memories of Anna : who tried to be the support for everyone in the family but was not given an actual chance to live life.

( Gosh I am crying again)

My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life… even if that means affecting the life of another?

And as a parent, seeing your child suffer from lukemia yet being so helpless and still having to put on this strong front - should you end this suffering now or hold the hope that she might have a possibility of being healthy once again. And in focusing your care all on this child, have you neglected the care of the other children who is also growing up and needs the love. Please don't make them feel like they are invisible. They are children who have a chance to live, help and guide them to live!

And as the person that is sick, having to bear the burden knowing how much medical cost it is to your family, seeing the worry etch on the faces of your family - I guess thats why so many people attempt to commit suicide when they face with sickness. Yet when they do so and people accuses them of being selfish, is it selfish to want to let your family be happy again, to not have them spend so much money on you knowing that there might be relapse or that you might never be healthy again? I wonder what is right? Of course I understand that God has given us life - and that we should never give up on life - but at the expense of others? close ones? This is a question that I can't answer.

And also to the children who have sick siblings, you are not invisible! Tell your parents how you feel, you might feel selfish for doing that, but parents don't know unless you tell them. All children always put on a facade to protect one self from greater disappointment. Even for children from a broken home, where they fight or commits offence, perhaps its the attention they need, perhaps its just a listening ear, a hug, but always remember people become a certain way because of reasons - peel off the reasons and don't judge them.

=> This book really brought tears to my eyes. Got reminded of the recent deaths and sickness that I have witness. 2 of my friends' parent passed away from cancer and my neighbor's daughter having lukemia.

A fantastic book that I wanted to share! Make me think alot about life.


A movie also came out (I prefer the book though but the movie was good as well)

Parents played by Cameron Diaz and Jason Patric
Kate played by Sofia Vassilieva and Anna played by Abigail Breslin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...